SNC Minutes

A meeting of the Scottish National Committee was held on 29th July 2020 at 12.00 pm

 

Those present by were: -

 

Mr P Fairlie, Asst. Gen. Secretary                  Mr J McCabe, Acting Chair                          

Mr W Reid, Scottish Treasurer                                                          

Mr J Devine, SNC Member                            Mr K Ewen, SNC Member                            

Mr W Carle, SNC Member

Mrs K Fairlie, Secretariat                              

 

Apologies from Mr Cairney, who is taking annual leave

 

  • MINUTES OF MEETING ECM/06/20

 

The Minutes of ECM 06/20 were accepted as an accurate record proposed by                           Mr Reid and seconded by Mr Carle.               

 

  • MATTERS ARISING

 

2.1       PAY SITUATION

 

            Nothing further to report.

 

2.2       POAS GROUP LIFE SCHEME

 

The cheque has been issued to the member at Shotts in respect of his wife and a new claim had been made in respect of member at Perth. A member at Barlinnie has also accepted a settlement of £6,000.00 from Canada Life and a cheque has been issued to him.

 

2.3       DISPUTES

 

The AGS provided the following update on disputes

 

SNC    

  1. Pay anomaly – Arbitration will take place on Friday 31st July.

 

  1. Standard Operating Procedures (re escorts) – (was Greenock now a National Dispute) – Awaiting dates.

 

 

 

  1. National – partnership working – Awaiting dates

 

Greenock – early courts- Ongoing

 

Low Moss – E Band Resource and the financing of resource. – Ongoing

 

Edinburgh -Cash Drop. A dispute has been lodged regarding the process of PPC – Ongoing.

 

Greenock – Ex Gratia funding for the early courts – Ongoing

 

 

  • WORKFORCE PLANNING GROUP & WFP SUB-GROUPS

 

A catch-up meeting is arranged with Mark Grady.  The SNC reps will give feedback on that meeting on Friday.

 

  • FINANCE

 

All matters are up to date.

 

  • SCOTTISH UNION LEARNING

 

The AGS reported that a reminder had been sent to the branches asking them to identify their ULR.  The UL Leadership Equality funds had not been applied for this year, as there was no opportunity to hold an event as Conference had been cancelled.

  

2.7       THE STATE HOSPITAL CARSTAIRS

 

An offer had been made to NHS staff regarding the holiday pay issue.  They have rejected that claim and negotiations are continuing.

 

2.8       PRIVATE SECTOR

 

Mr Reid is assisting a member at Kilmarnock with a COVID19 issue.  Application forms have been sent to the branch for an existing member to distribute as there has been some enquiries to join the POAS.

           

2.9       CAMPAIGN STRATEGY

 

The McLeod judgement on pensions has been published.  The AGS has given a brief update to the Scottish branches however, the POA have asked for Thompsons to prepare a response making sure the legal issues are covered properly and this will be issued UK wide when available.  A consultation group has been set up and the POA have 4 places in that group.  Mr Fairlie will take one of those places and the first meeting will be on 3rd August.

 

  • UNIFORM

 

Nothing further to report.

 

2.11     OPERATIONAL DIRECTORATE

 

            Nothing further to report.

 

2.12     DOG UNIT REVIEW

 

The policy has now been agreed and the allowances will be back dated. An email had been received from Ruth Parker; Mr Devine will forward a copy on to the office.

 

 

2.13     COMMUNICATIONS (Inc, NEWSLETTER & MEMBERSHIP)

 

Circulars have been issued with regards to pensions, rosters, and regime changes.  Letters have been sent to Ian Whitehead and Ally Purdie regarding the SPS route map and attendance patterns.

 

           

2.14     INDEPENDENT REVIEW INTO DELIVERY OF FORENSIC MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES

 

The review group are now reforming and have asked if the POAS wish to be involved with the next stages. Mr Grattan had been the representative on this group.  The SNC agreed that the health group was not relevant to the POAS however the Justice Sector group was, Karen Ewan will represent the POAS. The AGS will inform the group of the personnel change.

 

2.15     MEETING WITH SPS RE ATTENDANCE MANAGEMENT

 

A meeting had taken place with A Purdie, I Whitehead and S Coyle. The SNC had sought clarification and confirmation that attendance patterns will return to pre COVID arrangements once it was safe to do so. The meeting at the time felt like it had been productive, with the SNC members believing management would write and confirm the position. However, the POAS believed that the letter received from Ally Purdie had not fully expressed that and they believed it raised more concerns than it resolved.  The Acting Chair expressed frustration and felt that there had been very few cases/deaths and it was time to give the membership some ‘breathing space’ and revert to the original attendance patterns. He felt the Management had ignored the wishes of most of the staff.  The AGS cautioned that the pandemic was still ongoing, and things could change quickly and without warning (as they had in other countries). He also cautioned that if the POA insisted on pre attendance patterns being reintroduced the SPS in turn, would expect the full regime to be reintroduced, given that is what the timelines and compliments are designed around. He expressed some uncertainty around whether the general membership were ready for that and it would be prudent to be sure of our stance before taking any action. Mr Reid felt that Management seemed to be moving ahead without the POA’s involvement. Mr Purdie’s letter referred to the organisation working their way through the challenges to the working day and regimes that the pandemic had brought about and offered the POA to engage with the theme leads of the working group.  The AGS asked if the POA are taking up that offer and pointed out that Mr Purdie also agrees that the Core Day was not sustainable.  The SNC discussed the attendance patterns and agreed that not every establishment might want to return to the pre-existing shifts at this stage.  The Management have made the commitment that any changes would have to be done in Partnership and within the Code of Practice and be Code compliant, however they are also talking in terms of ‘changing and developing’ needs. The SNC had a long and frank discussion and many different opinions were aired. They agreed that an urgent face to face meeting should be requested.  The AGS will write to Management and ask for the meeting.  However, he asked the SNC to ensure that they meet as an SNC prior to that meeting as it was imperative that they had an agreed position and strategy, and that they knew what the membership wanted.        

 

2.16     FLEXIBLE WORKING

           

            Nothing further to report

           

2.17     C & R STEERING GROUP

 

            New dates awaited

2.18     ANNUAL LEAVE DURING COVID 19 PENDEMIC

 

The matter is still under discussion between the STUC and the Scottish Government.  However, there is not sign of movement. The SPS continue to follow the Scottish Governments instruction.

 

2.19     SCOTTISH CONFERENCE 2020 

 

The hotel has accepted the cancellation and accepted the deposit paid as a deposit for Conference 2021

 

2.20     OFFICE AT CALDER ROAD

 

            Ongoing

 

  • CORRESPONDENCE

 

Nothing further to report

 

 

  • ANY OTHER BUSINESS

 

 

4.1       TRADE UNION SIDE MEETING

 

Mr Reid reminded everyone that the TUS meeting would be taking place the following day, it would be a virtual meeting. Not a physical meeting as requested by PCS.

 

4.2       AGS ANNUAL LEAVE

 

Mr Fairlie reminded everyone that he was on annual leave 4th -7th August inclusive. Mrs Fairlie will also be on leave.  Mrs Jackson would be working but in a limited capacity to ensure the emails etc are answered and forwarded (she has no access to the membership database).

 

The next meeting of the Scottish National Committee would take place on Wednesday   26th August 2020 venue to be confirmed.

 

The Acting Chair thanked everyone present for their contribution, and there being no further business, closed the meeting. 

 

 

 

ACTING CHAIR

 

J McCabe

……………………………………

 

 

ASST. GENERAL SECRETARY

 

P Fairlie

……………………………………

Representing over 30,000 Prison, Correctional and Secure Psychiatric Workers, the POA is the largest UK Union in this sector, able to trace its roots back more than 100 years.