POA Circulars

48 | 15.04.2010

TUC Sponsored Courses, Other courses approval for travel and subsistence and facility time

It has been drawn to the attention of the Executive that members are enrolling on
training courses, without obtaining authority from the local committee and or the

If any member wishes to attend a TUC sponsored course, authority from the NEC
is required for travel and subsistence and NOMS for facility time in accordance
with the current agreement. If anyone wishes to engage in other courses and
want assistance in respect of travel and subsistence and facility time, applications
must be made prior to the commencement of the course, claims will not be
covered retrospectively.

As you know you all have a right to apply for time off to train and your employer
must consider all applications. However, the Union does have agreements in
place for paid time off from work for some approved courses.

I trust this clarifies these issues.

Yours sincerely

Deputy General Secretary